For complete detail about this attachment, be sure to click here to read more about it and watch our video tutorial. (this specific penguin has an original manual and original box!)
The Singer Walking Presser Foot is designed to produce superior stitching on fabrics which by the nature of their texture, surface, or weave, tend to ease, stretch, or adhere when stitching. Fabrics typical of the group are: Plastics and coated fabrics, Napped fabrics, Pile fabrics, Rough textured fabrics, Knitted fabrics, Polished surface fabrics.
It is also recommended for stitching suede leather, kid, capeskin and fine supple leather used for wearing apparel or trimming accents.
The construction of the Walking Presser Foot provides two toes; the left moves in unison with the feed of the sewing machine, carrying the two plies of material without slipping or stretching; the right toe holds the material firmly in position while the left toe returns for each succeeding stitch.
The delicate but firm handling of the material makes the SINGER Walking Presser Foot especially useful in many construction and finishing steps in sewing, where several layers of fabric are stitched, where bias edges are joined, and where fabrics of different textures are combined such as in:
- Binding Blankets and other binding operations where binding is guided by hand
- Stitching pre-folded hems, or freehand hems in fabrics and plastics
- Stay stitching of bias edges
- Stitching curved and bias seams
- Welt or slotted Seams
- Multiple stitching on lapels and facings and Applying patch pockets
Take note of the different toes and applications in the photos above…
- Inside of outer right toe allows you to achieve a perfect 1/4″ seam
- Outer edge of far right toe allows a 3/8″ seam – perfectly in line for a 3/8 inch double-fold binding seam
- Outer edge of the left big toe also serves as a 1/4″ guide. Perfect to use for quilting just inside the block seam.
- Inside of inner left toe – perfect guide for “Stitching in the Ditch”