The public charter school that our children [used to] attend requires a basic guideline for uniform wear. Solid top with khaki or navy bottoms. So, with my daughter starting Kindergarten this year I decided to incorporate some of the sewing I do for her by making a couple of short-sleeved cotton blouses with skirts. I will make jumpers and probably some long-sleeved blouses later, but our weather stays warm for another couple of months here.
I used a vintage Du Barry pattern with a pima cotton (absolutely the BEST!) that I bought from Bessie Mary. This pattern was a size 4, which was perfect for the width around (she wears a 5/6), but I needed to add three inches to the length for an appropriate fit. I would definitely say this pattern requires some intermediate to advanced skill, not so much for the sewing but for the implication of prior knowledge/experience in the pattern instructions - quite a bit was assumed. Considering that, the blouse itself was rather quick and easy to put together.
Instead of hemming the 'Trimmings' (little Ruffles) I just folded over and starch-pressed a 2 inch strip of fabric so I could use my Ruffler Attachment - so easy and fast and I like the look better than a narrow hem anyway. I also added some thin iron-on interfacing for the button plackets.
I would have made the skirt from the vintage pattern, too, but I think the straps would not have coincided with the school's uniform policy by covering up the logo. Instead, I used the 2+2 Pleated Skirt Oliver + S pattern.