SHOP TALK: Summer Tote Bag
Welcome back to Shop Talk here at The Featherweight Shop! We love our local chit chat with staff, gathering around the dinette table so-to-speak (because that is what we have!) and sharing with one another. In these segments, we exchange patterns, recipes, organizational ideas, history quips, gardening tips, crafty projects, and smiles about learning an old-fashioned way of doing things. Shop Talk is the fun tidbits of news!
1/2 yard each of 3 coordinating fabrics
1/2 yard of the inner fabric
Optional: Interfacing if you want to make it stiff
1. Select the fabric for the bottom layer of your bag. Fold the fabric in half and cut it so that the side edge angles outwards. The bottom straight edge should be 15 inches long total (so half that since you have your fabric folded) and the top 18″ total (so 9″ since it is folded.) Each layer should be about 5 1/2″ wide. Cut 2 of each of these strips.
2. Now, grab your next fabric and do the same thing, but the bottom of this one should match the top of your last one: (keep angling outward like before)
3. Do this again with your third fabric.
4.The top of the bag (the top of the top strip) is about 21 inches across.
5. Sew each layer together by placing right sides together and sewing the straight edges.
It should look like this when finished:
Image Source: CrazyLittleProjects.com
6. Press your seams flat.
Do this with the other set of fabric so that you have two sides of the bag.
7. Using your pieced together bag as a pattern, cut two pieces of the inner bag that match the outer bag you just created.
8. Place both sides of the bag together with right sides touching and sew down each side and across the bottom. Do this with both the outer and the inner bag pieces:
9. Turn inner bag right side out. Slide it down into the outer bag. Sew all the way around the top of the bag but leave several inches open to turn it right side out.
10. Reach into the bag and turn it right side out. Then tuck your inner part down into the outer and press it all smooth. Stitch around the top of the bag.
To create the straps:
1. Cut two pieces that are 4 inches wide by 33 inches long. Fold it so that right sides are together and stitch up the long side. Turn right side out. Press flat so that the seam is centered on the back.
2. Pin your straps onto either side of your bag. Place the ends so they are about 10 inches apart and about 5 1/2 inches from the outer edge of the bag. Sew them in place.